Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Case of the Worried Waitress

(A Perry Mason book, other books in that series I have reviewed include (The Case of) The Demure Defendant, The Shapely Shadow, and The Fabulous Fake)


Author: Erle Stanley Gardner

Back-of-the-Book Description: None available; basically a waitress comes to Perry Mason about finding a cache of money in her Aunt's hatboxes, and asks him what to do. As usual, a few days later what started out as a bit of worry turns into an (almost) murder mystery, where once again Perry Mason proves he's totally awesome.

My Description: I wish all lawyers were like Perry Mason, but honestly, I don't see how he can afford it. He practically bought the girl a car and helped her out for almost nothing at the beginning... I wouldn't find this odd, except in almost all of his cases he does this, and so I begin to wonder where he gets all the money...? Still, if he has it, then that whole thing makes Perry even cooler.

The mystery this time was super crazy, with all sorts of odd things happening... They missed explaining one thing, (the going store to store to save a few cents but spending dollars on taxi cabs) but I might have missed the answer. Besides that this case was as wonderful as the others, filled with heart-pounding suspense (and I mean literally. I almost screamed at one point) and Perry turning it all around at the last minute.

One slightly annoying thing I noticed throughout the series is that Mr. Gardner has a tendency to repeat things. In some cases that's cool, like if you've forgotten who a certain character was, but when Perry says(I italicised the repetition),

"Would you mind if we looked at it?"

"Not at all. But you'll have to go all the way back down the stairs to the front door, then climb two more flights of stairs."

"I'd like to take a look," Mason said. "It's unfurnished?"

"That's right."

"I'd like to get and idea of the way it's laid out. It has the same floor plan as this one?"

"Yes."

"May we look?"

Stuff like that happens in the book lots of times, and it gets a little irritating. But besides that, I loved this book, just like I loved all the others and I'd definitely recommend it to mystery lovers!

Pages: 212

Reading Time: Two days

Recommendations: To anyone who likes mysteries, or Perry Mason fans (book or TV series; doesn't matter... I personally started with the show, then read some of the books).

Writing Rating: 7

Story Rating: 7 1/2
Overall Rating: 8

Book #23 of '09, Book #73 of all

3 comments:

Froggy said...

What has been your favorite Perry Mason book so far?

Galaxy said...

That's hard to say... Each of them are cool for different reasons. I liked 'em all...

Have you read any? If you're sqeamish about the murder, in this one no body actually dies (well, a girl's parents are already dead, as well as two husbands... three, actually, but no one dies who is alive at the beginning of the story).

Froggy said...

No, I haven't yet. I think I might try one.
I don't mind murder, but there are times when I prefer to read murder-free books.