Friday, June 19, 2009

Once Upon A Marigold

Just so you know, I read this book a long, LONG time ago. But due to laziness, illness, and birthdays I didn't post a review, and I might never. The next few books I'll put up will most likely also be review-less, so be warned. I will say, however, that this was wonderfully cute and sweet and I liked it very, very much. I knew I'd love it when I read the part where a character is reading Greek Myths; "nothing like a bit of fratricide, matricide and infanticide to put you to sleep" (just so you know that's a very rough quote and there's a 95% chance of inaccuracy). I personally love Greek Myths, so that little joke made me adore this charming tale.

Author: Jean Ferris
Back-of-the-Book Description: Readers first meet Chris when he is a strong-willed, clever child of six. He has run away from home, determined to live on his own in the forest. Edric, a troll, finds him and gives him shelter but cannot make him go back home, and Chris grows up with Edric and his dogs as his family, guided by an etiquette book found in the forest and Edric's own wisdom. As the boy grows, he continues his interest in inventing and watches the princess in the castle across the river. She is headstrong but lonely, and when Chris contacts her by carrier pigeon (or p-mail), they become best friends. When he takes work at the castle, there is no way that Chris, a commoner, can tell Marigold who he is, and he can only stand by as she is to be married to an unsuitable suitor. When he learns that her life is in danger, he must find a way to save her and the kingdom.
Book #25 of '09, Book #75 of all

No comments: