Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren


Author: Wendy Toliver
My Description: Did I miss something? I found this book on Amazon.com while looking for pictures of some of the books I've read to put up on this blog. The lowest rating in reviews of this book was four stars. I was really disappointed.
The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren is really crass. The other word for a female dog was used at least twice, butt was used a lot (though that word isn't bad, the way that it was used was just weird), and the s-word was uncountable. Teenagers were drinking, and doing other inappropriate things, and not only all of this, but the way the Lead--Roxy--talked was just crass too. It was hard to like her sometimes, and you know me, I need to like the lead.
The story was mostly predictable to me, though the ending was slightly surprising, and though the story did make me laugh a couple times, it really wasn't that funny. As I said in the 'About the Journey' article on my side-bar, there are some books I just can't relate to. Maybe if I had gone to school/high school I would understand the characters better, and I'm sure there are some (thus the five star rating on Amazon) who love this book, but I really didn't. The one redeeming quality was the slightly sweet ending, though at that point it didn't really matter.
Back-of-the-Book Description: Geeky to gorgeous in sixty seconds...
Roxy's about to turn sixteen, but life isn't so sweet. As a band geek, Roxy can barely get the cute guys to notice her, much less go out with her. Then, on her birthday, Roxy is transformed into a siren: seductively beautiful with the power to control all men. She thought sirens were an ancient myth, but suddenly Roxy can get any guy she wants with just a few notes on her flute.
There are only two rules: don't tell anyone about being a siren, and don't fall in love. When she starts dating Zach, the guy everybody's crushing on, Roxy realizes she could get used to this siren thing...but how can she keep herself from falling in love?
Starting Date: June 18th
Ending Date: June 19th
Pages: 304
Recommendations: To people who don't mind bad language and other such things in a romantic comedy--definetly over 14.
Writing Rating: 5
Story Rating: 6
Overall Rating: 3
Book #33 of '08

1 comment:

Galaxy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.