Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Thief Queen's Daughter


Author: Elizabeth Haydon
Back-of-the-Book Description: In the sequel to The Floating Island (2006), the king sends Ven to the amazing Gated City in Kingston, which is ruled by the Thief Queen, and where "some of the most magical and exotic goods in the world are sold." His mission: to solve the riddle of a mysterious light stone. He is accompanied by four good friends, one of whom is kidnapped, and the search for her is fraught with peril, though they find some individuals willing to help. One of them turns out to be the Thief Queen's runaway daughter, who orchestrates their escape from her mother's evil clutches.
My Description: I didn't realize that this book was part of a series, so I got it expecting something quite different than what I got. Still, once I realized what the book was, I was able to enjoy the story a lot more. Some of the things in the book, such as Saeli getting captured, didn't impact me as much as it would have if I had read the first, but when I put the book down, I decided it was a good one. It's a humorous little story with action and characters you can care about, though I did get Nicholas and Char confused a bit here and there, just because of my lack of experience in this series.
Still, I think you should give The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme series a try--just read the first book first!
Pages: 320
Recommendations: To both boys and girls anywhere from 8-14, or a family (with younger children) reading together.
Writing Rating: 6 1/2
Story Rating: 7
Overall Rating: 7
Book #44 of '08

No comments: