Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Good Neighbors


Author: Holly Black
Back-of-the-Book Description: Rue Silver's mother has disappeared . . . and her father has been arrested, suspected of killing her. But it's not as straightforward as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother -- instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her -- and must also defeat a dark faerie that threatens our very mortal world.
My Description: Mommy picked this book out for me, and I was excited since it's from on of the authors of The Spiderwick Chronicles. It was not what I expected, but in a good way.
The story is written like a comic strip, which is something I don't really read, but it's also dark and mysterious, and low key, another thing I don't often read. It was like swimming in cold water, refreshing, relaxing, and strange. It was a breath of fresh air, and though confusing here and there, I actually liked it, just because it was so different from what I usually read, and I finished the story needing more. I'll definitely be looking for the next in Kin.
Pages: 117 (it's mostly pictures, so it isn't as long as it seems)
Reading Time: An hour or so.
Recommendations: To older readers... Early to mid teens, I'd suppose. Maybe a few tweens.
Writing Rating: 7 3/4
Story Rating: 7 3/4
Overall Rating: 8


Book #44 of '08

No comments: