Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Burning Bridge

Author: John Flanagan
Back-of-the-Book Description: Apprentice ranger Will and his friend Horace, a Battleschool apprentice, plunge into a desperate situation... While traveling on the frontier as their kingdom prepares for war, they discover a nearly completed bridge that will make possible a devastating sneak attack by the enemy. With the help of a young woman in disguise, they attempt to thwart the enemy's plans.
My Description: In the last book of Ranger's Apprentice--The Ruins of Gorlan--I loved how the characters joked with each other and made silly comments that added comedy to the book. But in the beginning of The Burning Bridge those silly moments ran a little too thick. Near the middle, however, the jokes became more dispersed and therefore more enjoyable.
In the last book Alyss and Will get together, and I was looking forwards to learning more about Alyss--as I hardly know her character--and finding out more about her and Will's relationship. Yes, we do have a bit of Alyss, (along with another wonderful display of the justice that makes me love this series and giggle with glee) but mostly her character is off in the side and we never see the two together. I was a little disappointed about that.
My wish for more Alyss wasn't granted, but at least I got more Horace. The former ward bully has grown a lot and his character is interesting and fun to have along in the story. I'm glad Mr. Flanagan brought him into a large roll in this book.
Most of the story Will and Halt are separate, and I was a little sad for that. I kept hoping the two would get together again and I'd have some good times with apprentice and mentor.... but it wasn't too be.

Anyways, I really enjoyed The Burning Bridge... Good humor, fun characters, suspense... Definitely a well written ending(with a great big cliff hanger so don't read it until you have the third book on hand!)!
Pages: 288
Recommendations: Probably to preteens and early teens, more on the boy side, but girls can enjoy also... of course, anyone who loved the first will love this.
Writing Rating: 8
Story Rating: 8
Overall Rating: 8

Book #11 of '09, Book #61 of all

No comments: