Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ranger's Apprentice: The Icebound Land


Author: John Flanagan
Back-of-the-Book Description: Kidnapped and taken to a frozen land after the fierce battle with Lord Morgarath, Will and Evanlyn are bound for Skandia as captives aboard a fearsome wolfship. Halt has sworn to rescue his young apprentice, and he will do anything to keep his promise— even defy his King. Expelled from the Rangers he has served so loyally, Halt is joined by Will’s friend Horace as he travels toward Skandia.
My Description: Another wonderful Ranger's Apprentice book (the others being The Ruins of Gorlan and The Burning Bridge)! The characters still have their silly moments together, and I really enjoyed it.
We got a good amount of Will (our hero), I suppose, but near the end something comes up that basically writes him out for that last quarter of the book until the very, very end. It was a little sad, since Will is such a wonderfully vibrant character.
The whole Halt bit at the beginning felt odd for me, but once I figured out what the Ranger was trying to do I got it; so DON'T WORRY when you reach that point--Halt is still Halt and will be returning to normal shortly.
Speaking of Halt, I had been looking forwards to seeing the Ranger and his Apprentice together, but the two never cross in this book and I was a little disappointed.
I have to keep reminding myself that Will is sixteen, going on seventeen... or Evanlyn, for that matter--whose character I am thoroughly am enjoying, by the way. I just keep thinking of them as 13 or 14... I know I'm off, and they don't seem immature or anything, but somehow I just think of them as my age.
You might like to note that Halt and Horace travel through a Kingdom on their way to rescue Will and Evanlyn where times are very, very ruff, and things that are said and done there can get a little uncomfortable... thankfully, most of that passes quickly.
Anyways, it's a great book.. Fun, funny, adventurous... I loved it!
Pages: 288
Recommendations: More to boys than girls, but good for both genders. Probably mostly a series for preteens and early teens.
Writing Rating: 8
Story Rating: 8
Overall Rating: 8


Book #13 of '09, Book #63 of all

No comments: