Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Tattooed Patato and Other Clues

Author: Ellen Raskin
Back-of-the-Book Description: Answering an advertisement for an artist's assistant involves seventeen-year-old Dickory Dock in several mysteries and their ultimate solutions.
My Description: Dickory is the name of the main character, and at first I didn't like it, but as the book went on, it grew on me. The story starts where you don't know anything about anyone, but as you read on, you learn more and more about the mysterious Garson, his tenants, and even our heroine herself.
The way The Tattooed Potato and other Clues is written, it somehow just keeps drawing you in. The writing is humorous, and the story is touching, a little sad, but it ends happily all the same.

At first I wasn't sure what to think of Garson... should I like him? Should I not? And I think I was supposed to feel that way. I think I was supposed to develop an opinion of him as Dickory does, and if that is the case, than Ms. Raskin did an excellent job. By the end of the book, my feelings for all the characters were very clear.
There are so many wonderful books out there that you read once, say "Boy, that was great!" and then go looking for another. This isn't one of those. This is a book you can read again, and again, and again, and still love it, even if you know all that happens.

And what is my final note on this book? It's sweet, and sad, and funny, and fun, and mysterious, and kept me guessing the whole way... In the end, it pulls everything together, and the whole story is amazing. I really, really loved this book, and I think it's one of my favorites. READ IT.
Recommendations: To anyone who likes mysteries, though The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues is much, much more than that.
Pages: 176
Writing Rating: 8 1/2
Story Rating: 8
Overall Rating: 8 1/2


Book #17 of '09, Book #67 of all

No comments: